For some of you that means the geese flying back, spring cleaning and the weather getting warmer . For me that means A HELL of a lot more cleaning due to the fact that I have a husky and they tend to shed this time around. Here is a photo of my floor, I vacuum it everyday. EVERYDAY. And there are millions of dog hairs EVERYWHERE. I brush her too, their is to much hair to contain it.
*Runs for the hills and cries, realizes it’s a bad dream and some how manages to find her self on fur hills* Don’t doubt for a second they’ll be gone because next you know it all the dust bunnies are back. I seriously cannot wait for shedding season to be over with.
The second issue, once again involving my dog, oh how dearest to me she is. Come spring time everything melts there tends to be soggy mud under the dead looking grass and after a few mins I officially have a muddy puppy. As you might have seen I got new floors just put in. So mud + puppy = AHHHHAHAHA. Then I attempt to do these sort of maneuvers like picking her up and quickly running her to her cage, not fully realizing I’m dousing myself in mud before school. Derp.
Oh spring is here *sigh* I rather hibernate in the winter.
So last weekend was my pouch’s Birthday (Dutchess), which was celebrated in 2 ways. Me waking up at noon and running around town chasing her because my brother let her off of the leash and then afterwards with some dog bones.
But for the first part, I really really really was not happy with her nor my brother. Also she’s a husky and all i can picture in my head her saying is “Oh you’re going to get me, NO YOU DONT! hahaha stupid humans…” and after an HOUR, I mean an hour of sprinting, running, diving and creeping around a cemetery (where I proceeded to catcher her.) Was not fun, but now looking back on it , it was kind of funny. Cause here I am breathing like there’s no tomorrow and she’s like ‘do de da, I’m a husky whom never get’s tired.”
You can guess what that face means …
So amongst this over the 9 months I’ve had her I’ve learnt a few things the hard way:
1) They shed… a lot. I usually vacuum once a day and god forbid if I don’t it looks like a scene from Texas with lil’ mini dust bunnies as tumbleweed’s. And I swear I don’t go ‘AHA I’ve got you, you lil’ ball of fur you” While vacuuming … Well maybe I do :p
2) Huskies in particular are hyper, but what do you get when your Husky thinks she is also a cat? And over-size dog trying to sit on your lap while watching TV, whom then proceeds to bat your hair like a cat and but unlike a cat it’s not cute or funny; it’s painful and annoying and she always end’s up scratching me. But regardless, I still love her 🙂 Also she seems to think that her sitting spot is on top of the couch and at the headboard where our pillows are.
3) My dog is clever, like get the shoe on the highest shelf clever, get of her leash clever, get out of the house by opening the window clever (It wasn’t locked but how does a dog even know that?!) drinking my tea the second I’m not looking clever, and lastly getting the meat off of the counter without me even knowing clever. Some would say this is bad dog but remember I’m writing about the past and will talk about her changes/ differences further below.
4) She likes to chew, like most dogs. At first it was teddies, then it was shoes, then it was my retainer, and now it’s pillows (but thank god it’s only pillows, because my retainer was worth 250$ and she ate 11 pairs of shoes … so a $4 pillow is not that bad.) Do we obedience trainer her? Yes of course, but she’s stubborn like most huskies and I feel like she is learning, just slowly and one thing at a time … But I can trust her now, Meaning I can leave my shoes anywhere’s now and she won’t touch them.
5) Potty training, first off I HIGHLY recommend crate training And Praise over punishment. She was fully potty trained by 6 months old and has not had an accident since. ‘Yay her :)’
6) Dog food maters, this is something that people don’t think is important but I do. I buy first choice, it’s 69$ for a big bag and last’s 2 months. One day I tried giving her complements brand name and she’s ate so much that she made herself sick and had potty issues (I will not into detail but think in terms of the gastro) I called the vet and he asked “Has there been any changes made recently” I told him about the food and what do you know, it was indeed the food. He compared cheap dog food brands to McDonalds (Gee what do you know he happened to use the worst brand of food on earth in my opinion) Which from that point on and out I will never buy it again. I’ll stick to my ‘over priced’ dog food. And for those of you who are skeptical think of it this way would you feed your kid trash? chances are high that’ll be a no, so why should we feed our dog’s garbage food? (And anyways all cheap brands are crude fat and food coloring with additives.)
7) Grooming, First off I’d like to say, no matter what if you have a long furred dog you’re going to either have hair on you or need to invest in a ‘schticky’ (which works by the way!) I only bring her to the groomers twice a year and I clip her nails myself. Working at an SPCA gave me tones of practice so I’m pretty good at it and up to date I haven’t over cut any animal. (includes: rabbits, dogs, and cats.)
8) Dog’s get jealous. Like whenever a toddler see’s their mom’s and dad’s hugging they instantly want their mom back to themselves (Also keep in mind this depends on the trait the child has and I did learn this in psychology, I’m not spewing lies here.). EXCEPT it’s Dutchess wants’ my Boyfriend to herself, if were hugging she tries to part us. This is something we are working on.
9) She howl’s like a wolf, full-blown bellowing husky to the max, or whines like a high-pitched irritating noise that you can’t stand at 4am in the morning because she has to pee but regardless of that you still get up and let her out in the pitch black night in your pyjamas in the freezing cold November-ness. *And breath*
10) Dog’s are expensive and for life. They’re not something you get for a few weeks and then throw away because they’re ‘bad’ or ‘incontinent’, they are a part of your family and need commitment and time. If your dog is bad seek advice, work with him/her there are options other than dumping them in some random place or bringing them to the SPCA .it pains me to see so many animals go to the SPCA because they’re to hyper or bad, they deserve a chance …
But besides these factors, we are working on the most current one pillow chewing and the whole jealousy act. And of course something are unchangeable, like fur. But overall she has come a long way from being the worst puppy in the world to finally calming down but still retains her quirkiness.
My dog’s my life, I don’t ever plan on having children, I feel like I already have one. (Plus I just don’t like kids, dogs are so much more fun!)
You can visit my youtube channel for video’s of her 🙂 @ AmberEveSimpson
If you have any questions DONT be shy to ask a way!